Choosing to live off-campus, in private rented accommodation, is often an exciting time for students.  For many, it is a completely new experience and a big learning curve. This section is dedicated to Student Tenants and provides you with handy tips and links to help you find safe accommodation.

The University of Hertfordshire is only allowed to recommend Landlords and Letting Agents who have registered with the PAL accreditation scheme. Those who are PAL accredited must abide by an agreed Code of Standards, to ensure they are providing safe and well-maintained properties.

Searching for an accredited property
PAL maintains an up to date online database of accredited properties, landlords and agents.

Click here to begin your search for a PAL property.

Benefits of renting through a PAL accredited landlord or letting agent:

  • Good quality accommodation
    Use the PAL website and look out for the PAL accreditation logos across the borough to find good quality, well managed accommodation.  All accredited landlords have PAL membership numbers. Want to find out if your landlord is accredited? Simply follow this link.  or contact us.
  • Assurance that your home meets legal requirements
    A PAL approved property provides assurance that your home meets legal requirements, is safe and in good repair. Only properties that meet the required standards are accredited. Follow this link to find out more about the property standards we promote.
  • Confidence in your landlord/ management agent
    You can have confidence that your landlord or management agency is committed to the health, safety and welfare of their tenants having signed the PAL Code of Practice for landlords or the PAL Code of Practice for partners.
  • Clearly defined terms with no catches or hidden costs
    You can be confident in the terms and conditions of your tenancy, with clearly defined responsibilities, a tenant’s information pack, and no catches or hidden costs.
  • Minimise disputes
    The PAL scheme reduces the likelihood of misunderstandings and disputes through clarity of responsibility given by the scheme. When a problem arises the PAL accreditation scheme ensures a reliable means of having it resolved through your landlord or agent within reasonable time.
  • Independent complaints procedures
    PAL operates an independently managed channel for any complaints or concerns about your landlord or property.

The following documents will also give you further information and tips:

Off Campus Student Support Guidance

How to Rent July 2023 Local Gov Guide

Student Support Services:


If you have further queries about PAL you can contact the PAL team on 01707 357366 or email

University of Hertfordshire:

The University’s Community Liaison & Support Officer (Dean of Students Office) is responsible for the welfare and discipline of students living in private off-campus accommodation. The Officer also acts as the link between the University and local community, and investigates student-related Community complaints, concerns and incidents.

The Community Liaison & Support Officer can be contacted via

Hertfordshire Law Clinic:

In 2019, the University of Hertfordshire opened its Hertfordshire Law Clinic, a new pro-bono legal advice service based at the University’s De Haviland campus in Hatfield. The clinic provides free legal advice to members of the public and University of Hertfordshire staff and students.

The clinic is able to provide advice on the following issues only:

  • Family law
  • Employment law
  • Intellectual property and commercial law
  • Powers of attorney
  • Housing law

For further information, please visit online:

Hertfordshire Students’ Union: 

Current students of the University of Hertfordshire have access to the Hertfordshire Students’ Union Advice & Support Centre. The Advisors provide free, confidential and impartial advice regarding a variety of issues, including Housing.

As a Tenant, you will need to understand your rights and responsibilities before you sign a contract.

Read more about understanding Tenancy Agreements, Moving In & Out Checklists, keeping Tenancy Deposits safe, and the support available via the Students’ Union via their website:

The SU ASC can be contacted: or 01707 285022

University of Hertfordshire’s Policing team:

UH has a dedicated Policing team who investigate student-related incidents, crimes and concerns. To contact the team, please email: