In the year ending June 2019, 215 people nationally lost their lives due to a fire at home. You are around 8 times more likely to die from a fire if you don’t have a working smoke alarm in your home.
Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue are working with Welwyn Hatfield residents to ensure that every resident has a working smoke alarm and is safe as possible within their property. By working together, we can all help prevent the risk of fire.
Would your smoke alarm save you?
- working smoke alarms correctly positioned in your home can save your life
- make sure you test your smoke alarms at least once a month
- make sure you have smoke alarms on every floor of your home, including in each bedroom
- do not put a smoke alarm in a kitchen or bathroom
- don’t ever paint over a smoke alarm
- have a plan for how you’d leave your home if your smoke alarms go off, and make sure everyone in your home knows what it is
Do you rent your home?
- landlords are legally required to install smoke alarms on every floor of the properties they let as living accommodation
- you are responsible for making sure your smoke alarms are maintained – test them monthly
Are you a landlord?
- you are legally required to install smoke alarms on every floor of a property you let as living accommodation
Concerned about yours or someone else’s home?
Hatfield Fire Station: firstname.lastname@example.org or 01707 346900
Welwyn Garden City Station: email@example.com or 01707 343500
You can also contact them via: Fire safety home visits, school visits and open days | Hertfordshire County Council