All PAL members are expected to observe the following declaration:
I declare that I will abide by the PAL Code of Practice
- I will always act in a fair, honest and reasonable way in all my dealings with tenants and will respect their rights to peaceful and quiet enjoyment of the property;
- I will not discriminate in my dealings with prospective and/or existing tenants or treat them less favourably than others because of their colour, creed ethnic or national origin, disability, age, sex, marital status, sexuality, politics or their responsibility for dependants;
- I will, emergencies excepted, give the tenant reasonable notice (at least 24 hours and in writing, stating reasons) when access to the property is required by the landlord, contractor or agent.
- I will provide a written statement of terms and conditions to landlords detailing all the rights, responsibilities and liabilities of the agency agreement.
- Agents who are not responsible for property standards will inform the landlord in writing of any areas requiring attention, or other statutory requirement, and will notify the local authority if the landlord fails to rectify. However in the case of a serious risk to anyone’s health or safety, they will, when made aware by any occupier, advise them to notify the local authority. In the event of the occupier being unable to do this they will report the matter on their behalf.
- I will provide tenants with a written statement of the terms of their occupancy (a tenancy agreement), together with a current inventory, a contact telephone number or other means of contacting the landlord or their agent in an emergency, and details of what conditions are attached to the deposit or bond.
- I will acknowledge promptly all written communications received from a tenant and will respond appropriately to telephone or other verbal messages and will, when so requested, provide the tenant with a written statement of their tenancy account;
- Before proceedings are commenced, I will notify the tenant in writing of any breach of the tenancy agreement that is to be used as a basis for legal proceedings against the tenant
- I will not cause harassment to a tenant or instruct or undertake any action that involves the tenant being illegally evicted or harassed;
- I agree to place any deposit received into a government-backed tenancy deposit scheme (TDP) and abide by the terms set out within the TDP scheme.
- I will not refuse a tenant a reference for the purposes of securing a new tenancy, without good cause.
- I will provide all landlords with information about the PAL Scheme and urge them to apply to join the scheme.
PAL Partners will, take all reasonable steps to; ensure that the tenant is provided with accommodation that complies with relevant legal requirements, in particular
- I will take all reasonable steps to ensure all accommodation I provide will not fall below the current minimum legal standards for habitation. That is in a reasonable state of repair, has adequate fire safety and amenities and meets basic standards of management.
- All disrepair or defects in the property for which I am responsible will be attended to promptly with a minimum disturbance to the tenant.
- Subject to statutory rights of appeal, I will comply with all statutory notices served by a local authority;
- Subject to statutes, I shall hold all relevant safety certificates in respect of gas installation and appliances in the accommodation which I provide for letting and copies of these will be provided to the tenant. Where automatic fire detection or emergency lighting is a requirement, I shall ensure that installations are properly serviced by a competent person in accordance with the relevant British Standards
- I will not advertise or falsely claim a property as accredited under PAL if it has not been declared and processed through the PAL scheme.
- I will not act in such a manner that brings the PAL Scheme into disrepute.
All references to an individual in this Code will apply equally to relevant Directors, Partners and/or employees of a Company or business accredited under this scheme.
Signing the Declaration will be taken as your agreement to any such action and that you are confirming that none of the above prevents you from being an accredited landlord.